posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska Bruce  in Alaska is offline

Default FT-857 vs 706 MkII ?

In article ,
Larry wrote:

Bruce in Alaska wrote in news:bruceg-
:

I have worked the old AT&T West Coast HF Marine Station, KMI, while
running an N550, with the covers off, and feeding a Bird Kw Dummy Load,
from the Engineering Department, of the Old Northern Radio Building, on
West Commadore Way, in Seattle, Washington, on both 8 and 12 Mhz,
with excellent Signal Reports. It is amazing what can happen when the
Band is open........

Bruce in alaska Lordy, those were the days........

I could hear KMI on my Hallicrafters Sky Buddy when I was a kid learning
the code. I've copied KMI many times while growing code speed when I was
10 years old....er, ah, in 1956...(c; Thanks for the practice, Bruce!

snipped for brevity

We were listening....Sure glad you were transmitting....thanks!

73 DE W4CSC K

No Larry, you have it a bit wrong here. I never worked "AT" KMI at
Point Rayes, California, I "work" KMI from the Northern Radio Co.
Engineering Department in Seattle, Washington, with a Northern N550
Marine HF Radio, with the covers off, and feeding a 1Kw Bird dummy Load,
on both 8, and 12 Mhz one afternoon. I was setting up the radio for
installation on the then NEW Alaska State Ferry M/V Columbia, which
was just completing construction, and about to enter Sea Trials. At
that time I was a Traveling Marine Radioman for Northern Radio Co.
and was the Primary Tech responcible for SOLAS Inspections and
Compliance with the company. Years later, it was that SOLAS work,
that lead to my employment with the FCC, as the Resident Field Agent
for the FCC in Southeastern Alaska. All the Inspectors that I had
"trained" to do SOLAS Inspections, out of the Seattle Field Office, then
got to "train" me, in doing SOLAS Inspections from the Regulatory side
of the house. We had Great fun. Now days, ANY General Radiotelephone,
Licensed tech can preform a SOLAS Inspection. Just the way things are.
I still get calls from SOLAS Required Vessel Owners, to come do Title
III Part III, and GMDSS Inspections, because most Radio Techs don't have
the experience with such Inspections and Compliance Requirments, and
don't want to put the Tickets on the line if they screwup the
Inspections, and something happens.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @