posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska Bruce  in Alaska is offline

Default FT-857 vs 706 MkII ?

In article ,
"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

I have worked the old AT&T West Coast HF Marine Station, KMI, while
running an N550, with the covers off, and feeding a Bird Kw Dummy Load,
from the Engineering Department, of the Old Northern Radio Building, on
West Commadore Way, in Seattle, Washington, on both 8 and 12 Mhz,
with excellent Signal Reports. It is amazing what can happen when the
Band is open........

Bruce in alaska Lordy, those were the days........

Wasn't that KMI something! When in the Puget Sound area, and they
switched their antenna array on you, it would burn the lint off your
receiver's antenna coils!
What a friendly bunch of operators.... usually asked, "howz the
weather up there?" after an honest and critical signal report.
Yes, those were the days. Every day about dusk, we'd listen for Peggy
and the weather to see if the path was going to be good for our fishermen's
wives limited coast stations.
Don't know if conditions are generally bum, or cell phones and
satellite radio have taken over, but 4125 doesn't sound the same anymore.
Old Chief Lynn

It has all gone to TracPhones, and MariSat, for 90% of High Seas
commercial traffic. You still hear the Tugs giving Wx Reports to
Cold Bay, and Yakatat NWS Stations, 15 minutes before the WX Broadcasts,
on 4125Khz. Even with all that, when someone gets in trouble, they
still are using 4125Khz to call CommSta Kodiak for help. Those
guys (USCG Operators) are the best, and are very dilligent, for the
North Pacific, and Bering Sea.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @