Calif Bill

Default Boat "getting heavier" or Merc 4.2 diesel losing power?

Depending on the engine, you may lose RPM's. They have reformulated diesel.
Most of us diesel pickup truck owners have noticed a decrease in milage.
Bill

"Peter Jones" wrote in message
om...
Started the new season to find my Conquest 23 with Merc 4.2 D-tronic
diesel on a Bravo III seemed to have "lost" 300-400 rpm at WOT. After
many visits by mechanic and Merc distributor with laptops, replacing
fuel injection electronics, rigging up a clean fuel tank etc - the
conclusion was "the boat got heavier" and they propped it down from
24" to 20" to get it back to 3800 rpm.

Well, the only thing added to the boat since I bought it from new is a
fold-away table and some fishing rods and she's cleaned top and bottom
every winter - so I'm pretty skeptical!! I don't think a new whaler is
likely to be soaking up water in her hull either.

She's very lightly used but serviced every year. No smoke and sounds
sweet to my ears - even the wife likes the whining of the turbo!

Anyone got experience of this engine? Thoughts?

Thanks
Peter