posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bjarke M. Christensen Bjarke M. Christensen is offline

Default AIS receiver

I totally agree with Flemming. And I did write "can", not will or should. My
point was that you should have the ability to do without. My point was not
to ban equipment. In fact I do have myself, apart from electric running
lights, gps, plotter, wind instruments, wheel pilot, weather receiver, vhf
and so on. And Im even planning to add an AIS receiver.

But I'll always be able to sail without. Being a offshore sailor I guess you
accept that equipment do break and that you have to be able to cope without.

Bjarke

"navnut" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 28, 10:16 pm, "DaveC" wrote:

snip

?? "any cruiser" = "any sailor" can sail in *any weather* without
*anything* that require electricity .....

IMHO

Bjarke- Hide quoted text -

snip

""any sailor" can sail in *any weather* without *anything* that
require electricity ..... "

That's the sound of youthful bravado, or someone who hasn't actually
done much offshore sailing.

Decades ago I sailed many thousands of miles with no electronics
except VHF. At first we even used kerosene running lights...really
foolish!