posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default Raymarine RL80CRC

"rlojmo" wrote in news:1172516760.374755.127670
@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Could anyone comment on their experience with the raymarine RL80CRC?

Just the display or with a radar dome? We have an RL70CRC, which is
close, with the awful 2KW radome.....

We've been through 3 2KW radomes because they suck in humid air all night
through the little rubber drain tit on the bottom and it rains INSIDE the
radome, which isn't sealed like it should be (cheap). Then, the water
inside vaporizes into a bog in the sun all day, eating the cheap pot
metal the whole radar chassis is made of. It turns into a conductive
white metal salt that eventually shorts out the unprotected PC boards
inside the pot metal box because it has gaping holes in it to run control
wires to cheap compression spring contacts, that corrode of course, too.
Even the soft iron core of the unprotected magnetron rusts heavily,
causing the maggie's magnetic power to short out as the core makes
contact between the laminations. We've never let it get so bad it arcs
before, once again, replacing this piece of marine consumer crap with,
yet, another one.

4 screws doesn't seal the radome top to the base. The guts look just
awful after a year at sea.....how stupid. It's not a Raytheon.

It's almost time to replace it again, before we're at sea with a dead
radar, yet again. Thanks for reminding me to haul it down for another
inspection.

Larry
--
I have a new strategy to protect the Mexican border. From the border
to inside the USA, 1 mile, we turn it into our OPEN PIT nuclear