posted to rec.boats.building
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default not exactly a boat, but a big water tank - how to seal seams

wrote:
Hi all,

I'm building a large water tank (4' x 4' x 12') out of plywood and
fiberglass (wood outside, fiberglass inside). I was wondering if
anyone had some advice about how to seal the seams of the tank -
like where the walls meet the floor. I was thinking of taking some
2" wide fiberglass tape and putting that on the seams, but I wasn't
sure if this was a good idea or not.

I was also planning on putting 2 or 3 penetrating layers of epoxy
and then 2 coats of fiberglass/epoxy on top of that.

It's pretty much the exact opposite of a boat - I want to keep the
water inside

I'd appreciate any help you can offer.
-William

I used a 3/4" plywood tank for water on my sailboat for 20 years,
lived aboard for 10 years. The only thing inside was 2-3 coats of
Gluvit, never any leaks or problems.
http://www.marinetex.com/PRODUCT%20P...it/gluvit%20pr
od%20in.htm

--