Bob Bob is offline

Default Best Grill for sailboat ??

On Feb 26, 2:52 pm, "NE Sailboat" wrote:

Flames on boats................ Bad!
BOb

Bob ,, I've had a grill on two other boats and had no problems. Not propane
though. Charcoal grill that swung out over the water.

Do you think the charcoal grills are safer? I have one on my sailboat and
when I use it, I swing it out away from the hull.

Are you saying that "any" grill is dangerous, or is it the propane that is
the danger?

Hi:

Excellent percepton check. is it the gass or any grill........
There are many ways to get people about on the water. Just depends on
your philosophy and what a person hopes to accomplish. The great
debate at alt,sailing .asa is how to attach anchor chain to the boat.
Of course the thread wondered to anchors and anchoring. Every body had
extreamly strong opinions on the "proper" equipment and methods. The
intersting thing is that non of the idiots ever stoped to ask: what
type of boat, size, loction etc. They just started blabing opinions.

The same holds true here. What size boat, what kind of sailing/
motoring, where, who else on board etc. One of the more safe grills I
stood next to was the clasic GOM (Gulf Of Mexico) deck grill: 55
gallon drum welded to 1/4" angle iron that was welded to the deck of
220' OSV. But even that caused injury when the boat rolled underway
and the cook fell into it. Burnt both palms badly. Off to the beach he
went leaving his finger prints behind.

THis is how I think about grills and boats...... go and buy the grill
of your dreams. Put it in the back of the mini van. Add 2-3 half drunk
adults, and a dog. Oh, you dont have one??? What about the guy a few
slips down. You know, the big friendly type that all owners say " dont
worry he would never hurt anybody" and then the mut jumps up knocking
**** all over the place. I lost a set of Snap-On wrenches over the
side by a friendly mut that way. Back to the mini van anology. Now
dont forget the 2-3 kids. Now go for a drive down the road at 60 mph.
Sound pretty rediculous, no?

Then why do the same thing on a cramped boat (anything less than 60')
that moves especically when that other idiot goes zooming by leaving a
wake large enough to surf. My personal opinion is too many "accedents"
can happen. Ever see the movie titled "Final Destination 2"?

Take it to the beach. Do it on the dock. When the dog knocks it over
no big deal.
Grills are great......in the back yard next to the lawn mower.

Flames on boat bad.
Bob