NE Sailboat NE Sailboat is offline

Default Best Grill for sailboat ??

Peter ,, thanks for the info. I went to Lowes yesterday. And, I looked at
the grill you bought.

I was holding it upside down, etc and along comes the salesclerk. She looks
at me like I am a NUT.

Then I told her I was looking to use it on my boat. So,,, then the both of
us are holding it upside down etc.

It is a good one .. no doubt about that. But ... it won't work on my boat
because I don't have enough room.

I need a smaller grill. I will probably buy a Magma 2. That is if I can
find one cheap on ebay.

Thanks for taking the time to write. I'm sure someone else here will use
your info for "their" new grill.

That is why we lurk ... knowledge and fraternity.

=================
"Peter" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tom,

Our grill is a "BBQ Grillware" Same as Skip's--he and I corresponded
about it some months ago. We bought it at Lowe's for about $75. Skip
indicates he paid $98 for the grill. Maybe mine was on sale. It is
stainless steel, rectangular, measures about 12"X20". I attached 2
spring clips to the rear bottom of the grill that I clip on to the
stern rail. I drilled holes in the ends of the spring clips so I
could put hairpin clips to secure them to the rail. Spring clips are
commonly used to hold poles or rods of various kinds to walls,
ceilings, etc. Available in stainless at Lowes in their limited
boating supplies display. I have attached a strut to the front center
bottom of the grill that is also attached to the bottom of a
stanchion. This part can simply be a piece of flat stock long enough
to reach from the bottom of the grill to the bottom of a stanchion,
you could use an angle of some kind to attach it to the grill and
maybe a hose clamp along with a bolt to hold the bottom of the strut
to the stanchion. My strut is made from a piece of stainless tubing
because that's what I had available. This provides 3 points of
support. If you can't mount the grill over a stanchion, you could run
the strut down to some point on the coaming. Basically, you want to
attach the grill to the rail and support the front of the grill to
keep it from swinging down. We have left the grill in position in
fairly rough seas with no mishap. According to Skip's pix, he adapted
Magma mounting hardware to mount his. Skip says his mounting system
cost $60 some odd. Mine cost less than $15. It's probably not as
elegant or professional as his and perhaps a bit less convenient. I
will try to take pix tomorrow and post somewhere.

Peter
s/v Now or Never!