Harlan Lachman Harlan Lachman is offline

Default Lazy Jack vs Dutchman Sail Flaking System

In article ,
Charlie Morgan wrote:

On 25 Feb 2007 12:33:00 -0800, lid (Jonathan Ganz) wrote:

In article ,
Lauri Tarkkonen wrote:
In
writes:

One of our club members bought a 36-foot sailboat equipped with a Dutchman
system last year.

His comment after one season is that he could use a downhaul to get the
main
down. The main does not come down as easy and flaking as advised.
It could be that the Dutchman system is not properly installed or fully
tuned up yet. Nonetheless, it gave me food for thought.

For the Dutchman to work properly you have to have the vertical parts
properly lined with the holes in the sail, the grommets big enough and
the rope smooth and the lenght of the chord you splice the vertical
parts must be such that when you ease the hallyard the weight of the
boom will make everything reasonably tight, not too tight. Then you hope
that the gravity will not fail you. :-).

Many conditions. If not properly set up, the gravity is not enough to
pull the sail down.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

Lauri, you're right... since I'm up at the mast when I drop the sail,
I do occasionally have to give the luff a yank or two to get it
going. And, I do usually have to give a flake a reset shake to get it
"in the grove."

FYI, the Charlie Morgan sockpuppet is a liar. I bought mine through
Quantum out here.

Jon is good friends with Conrad "Bart" Senior, who works for the Dutchman.
They
have discussed the Dutchman system in newsgroups, and Bart openly offered Jon
discount. Anyone who thinks I'm lying can go to the Dutchmans website and
find a
photo of Dutchman employee Bart Senior there. If Jon procured his Dutchman
system through Quantum it was done at a discount courtesy of Dutchman.

CWM

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
When reading Jon's opinions, bear in mind that he has a close friend on
the
payroll of the Dutchman, and Jon gets his Dutchman products at a reduced
price.
Of course he thinks they are superior!

Charley, I have no association with the Dutchman, get nothing for my
posts or referrals and I love the darn thing. I have no problem raising
or lowering because we carefully aligned the lines on the topping lift
and got some fancy schmanzy system for slides on the mast.

So Jon may or may not be biased. But the system is a great thing for
performance sailors who want life to be simpler.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?