Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Lazy Jack vs Dutchman Sail Flaking System

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
wrote in message
news
I wonder what Beneteau means by Semi Full Battens mainsail with Lazy
Jacks. Why semi full batten?
Does it help the battens from catching on the Lazy Jacks?

I would think it would help minimally, but most of my experience with
battens/LJs have been with battens that are not full.

As a follow up, I should say that LJs are definitely preferable to not
having anything. When I got my most recent boat, it had nothing, and going
from scratch had the local sail loft (Quantum) evaluate the main as
appropriately "young" for the Dutchman (it was), sell me the unit, modify
the main, and install it. They were very inexpensive and it sure was easier
than trying to rig it myself. I may have mentioned earlier, the training was
painless... a few times. I think a lot of credit has to go to the previous
owner who was very consistent with his sail flaking.

The last boat also had nothing, but was so small I made and put my own LJs
on her. They worked but did occasionally snag one of the particial battens.
It wasn't a big deal because I could usually just reach up and fix it. I
can't do that on my Sabre.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com