posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop Maxprop is offline

Default Anchor Chain

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 23, 10:34 am, Jeff wrote:

What is the best way to tie off the anchor chain in the chain locker?

ignore the amateurs that advise shackling the chain to the
boat. It should be attached with a length of line, strong enough to
hold the boat, accessible enough to cut with a knife if need be.

The trough bolted padeye with backing plate is correct.
A 10' tail is correct.
Seveal passes of small stuff (line) between the padeye and link of
chain is correct.
That way ya can cut it loose and let it fly when your bow is about to
be taken to the deep or put a purchas on that 10' tail if need to
monkey with it whilts under a strain.

Can't verify this story, but after a few decades of boating, I believe
anything is possible.

Some folks I know who regularly charter in the BVI reported that their
charter company--Sunsail, I believe--told them that they once received a
cell phone call from one of their customers under way. The query concerned
how they were supposed to continue anchoring, after two nights of being on
the hook. When asked what they meant, the customer responded that they'd
"used" both anchors and were plumb clean out of 'em. Should they head back
to the charter base for some more, or just stick to moorings?

Okay, sounds implausible, but after what I saw on my one trip to the BVI, I
tend to believe the story.

Max