posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bil Bil is offline

Default Raymarine ST1000 Plus Autopilot

On Feb 25, 5:18 pm, "muelec" wrote:
On 24 Feb., 00:46, "Pascal" wrote:

In my practical experience, when using the gps track mode (gps
interface ) with my autopilot St/4000 for several years, is that the
boat has much better tracking, with less yawing, staying much better
over the route and spending much less time correcting, working less
and consuming less amperes. I have tested a new boat with a S1G
(Giro) and the XTE is les than 10 m all the time even with large
waves ...

Test it yourself ... It is better with a aparent wing angle betwen
45-60 off the bow but works up to 160 degrees very well, take ease
to not activate the interface unless you see that the boat ill turn in
the desired direction .... and avoid jibes ..... Good luck

Pascal

don't know. I would be glad for some help with Brand Names, Types

Urs: Hi!

Does your ST1000 accept NMEA, only SeaTalk, or both SeaTalk and NMEA?

SeaTalk has simpler wiring and the ST of ST1000 stands for SeaTalk.
You might need to check the documentation with your ST1000 to see if
it can accept NMEA sentences. If your ST1000 can read NMEA sentences,
then you can use any brand of GPS. If you ST1000 can only read
SeaTalk, you might need to consider a Raymarine GPS or a NMEA-SeaTalk
interface.

I use an ST1000 (driving the trim tab to my rudder) or a ST4000
(driving my tiller) on a boat with displacement too heavy for the
ST1000 to drive the tiller.

I have wired my ST1000 into the boat's SeaTalk network, meaning that
the ST1000 can be used as a stand-alone (if the boat's electronics
have failed completely) or the ST1000 can steer using the GPS and
waypoint data from the ST4000 head (and the masthead wind instrument,
the water speed transducer, waypoints in the electronic charter, etc).

Using the full resources of the boat's navigational electronics, my
ST1000 does almost as good a job as the ST4000 (and the difference is
more likely due to the difference between driving the rudder directly
and driving only the rudder trim tab.

Hope this helps

Bil