posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Anchor Chain

On Feb 24, 7:14 pm, Jeff wrote:
* Joe wrote, On 2/24/2007 7:10 PM:

On Feb 24, 2:55 pm, Jeff wrote:

IMO if you have more than 15 ft of chain you need a windlass.
I'm sorry to hear of your infirmity, Joe. Most people are able to
handle 20 to 30 feet of chain by hand.

can you pull it up if it's buried under a 600 lb rock? Break a plow
that 3 ft under?

What does this have to do with chain? Are you claiming that with 15
feet of chain its easy but with 20 feet its impossible?

In any case, I don't rely on the windlass to break out of normal
situations, like deep mud. I shorten up as much as possible, and then
let the boat bob around for a few minutes. It alway works for me.
If it were fouled on a 600 pound rock I'd probably burn out my
windlass trying to haul it.

I do not like the ideal of tying off a chain with rope to the padeye.
Then again, I have the strength of steel:0)
Right Joe, you confessed that 15 feet of chain is so heavy that you
need a windlass!

Not for the weight of the chain Jeff.

Feel free to back pedal all you want.

Back Pedal? It's that last 15-20 ft of chain thats a bitch around
here, the rest is easy, you wanna bust your back go ahead, IIl just
rachet in

BTW I have a windlass and a cat head. A Navy #1 built in 1901. Cast
iron hot galvanized dipped. It will pull the bow under if needed.

Good for you. It probably weighs more than my windlass

only about 180 pounds

and all my
ground tackle put together.

Its probably appropriate for your type of
boat.

Yeah thats why I bought it. 1/2" doubler plate on deck and Monel
strike plate on the hull next to the hawse pipe to keep the flukes
from scratching the steel. Underneath in the locker is a 1" bow stem
plate with a shackle for the bitter end.

Joe