posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Peter Bennett Peter Bennett is offline

Default Battery Equalization Strangeness

On 24 Feb 2007 14:45:32 -0800, "GeoffSchultz"
wrote:

On Feb 24, 5:35 pm, krj wrote:

Batteries should be fully charged BEFORE starting equalization. Fully
charge the batteries then test with a hygrometer to see if equalization
is needed
krj

The batteries were fully charged. Unfortunately these are sealed lead
acid and can't be tested with a hygrometer. The batteries are 1.5
years old and have never been equalized and have gone through 2
cruising seasons.

-- Geoff

I believe that it is widely recommended that maintenance-free
batteries MUST NOT be equalized, as equalization DOES boil off some
water, which can not be readily replaced in a sealed battery.

The equalization instructions for my Xantrex charger say :

"An equalization charge should be performed /only/ on vented, flooded
(non-sealed or "wet") batteries. It should be performed only if
recommended by the battery manufacturer and only as often as
specified."

(I will admit that some "maintenance-free" batteries are actually
"maintenance-resistant" - a determined user can remove the caps, to
check and replenish fluid levels.)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca