posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
KLC Lewis KLC Lewis is offline

Default Battery Equalization Strangeness

"GeoffSchultz" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 24, 5:35 pm, krj wrote:

Batteries should be fully charged BEFORE starting equalization. Fully
charge the batteries then test with a hygrometer to see if equalization
is needed
krj

The batteries were fully charged. Unfortunately these are sealed lead
acid and can't be tested with a hygrometer. The batteries are 1.5
years old and have never been equalized and have gone through 2
cruising seasons.

-- Geoff

I'm guessing that you had at least one sulfated cell that broke-free during
your aborted equalization, and that now the charger is able to bring the
whole battery up to full charge. I'd watch the temperature, but let it do
it's thing unless it starts to boil.