posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
krj krj is offline

Default Battery Equalization Strangeness

GeoffSchultz wrote:
I have (2) 8D lead acid batteries that I just tried to equalize using
my ProSine inverter/charger. Based upon a battery temp of 70F and the
documentation supplied by the manufacturer I specified a maximum
equalization voltage of 15.5V and a maximum charging rate of 22A (5%
of 440 AH capacity). Upon starting the equalization the charging
voltage rose to 14.7V at 22A. It stayed there for about 5 hours and
then the charging voltage dropped to 14V at 22A. The battery temp
rose from 73F to 75F during the period. After 2 hours at 14V I
aborted the equalization. Upon switching back to normal charging mode
batteries started charing at 27A at 14.3V and have been at that charge
rate for about 1/2 of an hour.

Any ideas as to what's going on? I expected to see the voltage rise
during the equalization and not drop. I certainly didn't expect to
see the batteries charge at the 27A following the aborted
equalization.

-- Geoff

Batteries should be fully charged BEFORE starting equalization. Fully
charge the batteries then test with a hygrometer to see if equalization
is needed
krj