posted to ott.rec.canoe-kayak,rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring,nf.paddling,uk.rec.boats.paddle
donquijote1954 donquijote1954 is offline

Default "I've got cocaine runnin' around my brain"

Well, it's not cocaine but another kind of addiction that goes through
the brain of the "voracious consumers" (SUVs, motorboats...)

'Oil on the Brain: Adventures from the Pump to the Pipeline'

'Lisa Margonelli's illuminating, entertaining stories of "people who
oversee oil's long journey to our cars." Starting at her neighborhood
filling station, she scurries up the pump like Alice down the rabbit
hole, to discover and chronicle the delivery trucks, refineries,
drilling rigs, the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, the oil market and,
most tellingly, the voracious consumers. Simply put, oil rules. It is
indispensable to our comfortable lifestyles and we will go to war over
access to it.

Running through the book, subterranean but ever present, is our
preposterous relationship to oil, an institutionalized addiction that
discourages strategic change. We feed the rat [dinosaur] instead of
setting a trap for it.

Today's petro-states are hazards in themselves: Margonelli's portraits
of Venezuela, Chad, Iran and Nigeria are cases in point. "Lurking
within [those countries] were instability, poverty, nationalism, and
deep anti-American feelings. The 2001 National Energy Policy, written
after secret consultations between Vice President Dick Cheney and oil
executives, concluded as much. ... Many people interpret it as a
virtual declaration of war." Weapons of mass destruction don't have to
be bombs; oil fits the bill quite nicely.'

http://www.envirosagainstwar.org/kno...hp?itemid=5209

"She realizes that the long term future of energy is not with oil. She
says: 'The United States could put its considerable money and
political will into creating new kinds of vehicles and fuels, while
creating incentives to use fossil fuels more efficiently.'
Unfortunately, when I listen to our politicians, I don't hear anything
about such things. Perhaps lip service as in the state of the union
message, but no action."

http://www.amazon.com/Oil-Brain-Adve.../dp/0385511450

and I leave you with the lyrics here (you may substitute appropriately
oil for cocaine)...

Song: Cocaine in My Brain Lyrics

Hey Jim, Jim, just a minute y'all
I want to ask you somethin'
I want you to spell somethin' for me Jim
Can you do that? Sure John
But I want you to spell for me New York
John, why you ask me to do that?
I just want you to spell New York, Jim
Well alright, I'm gonna go ahead man

N-E-W Y-O-R-K, that's New York man
No Jim, you've made a mistake, Jim
I'm gonna teach you the right way
And the proper way to spell New York
Well, go ahead, John

A knife, a fork, a bottle and a cork
That's the way we spell New York, Jim - yeah
You see I'm a dynamite
So all you got to do is hold me tight
Because I'm out a sight, you know
'Cause I'm a dynamite

But everytime I walk in the rain
Man, o man, I feel a pain, I feel a burning pain
Keep on burning in my bloody brain

I've got cocaine runnin' around my brain
I've got cocaine runnin' around my brain
I want you to dig me soul brother and soul sister
I want you hold me tight because I'm a dynamite - yeah
I've got cocaine runnin' around my brain

No matter where I treat my guest
You see they always like my kitchen best
'Cause I've cocaine runnin' around my brain
cocaine runnin' around my brain, yea

Hey Jim, Jim? Where is Jim, man?
Jim, I want you to tell me somethin'
I want you to spell for me New York, Jim
Come on, Jim, I want you to spell New York

A knife, a fork, a bottle and a cork
That's the way we spell New York
Right on, out of sight man, right on, ooh
Right on, yeah, right on

[...]

Come on, Jim, I want you spell New York

A knife, a fork, a bottle and a cork
That's the way we spell New York
Right on, out of sight man, right on, ooh
Right on, yeah, right on

Man oh man, I'm on the run
I've got to reach the setting sun
'Cause I've got cocaine
A whole lot, whole lot of cocaine, man
Runnin' around my brain, runnin' around my brain
cocaine, cocaine, runnin' around my brain, yeah

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/mewit...einmybrain.htm