Frank Frank is offline

Default What type of sail rig is this?

On Feb 22, 10:11 am, "KLC Lewis" wrote:

"Lauri Tarkkonen" wrote in message
The schooner has two or more masts with he rear mast higher or as high
than the previous ones. Ketch has a mainmast in front and a shorter
mizzen.

All well and good, but what of the Freedom "Cat Ketch," which has two masts
of the same size?

I've kept out of this discussion so far but let me add here that the
East Coast racer "Frog Kiss," a Freedom 44 cat ketch, added a jib to
the front of his boat making it... well, I dunno, kinda like what's
being discussed here. Personally, I call this little blade of a sail a
"jiblet" and still call the boat a cat ketch. But that's just me.

The Freedom 39 is generally called a cat schooner cuz the foremast is
shorter than the aft mast; but the ones with the masts the same size
are called cat ketches.

My $.02,

Frank