Jonathan Ganz Jonathan Ganz is offline

Default Lazy Jack vs Dutchman Sail Flaking System

In article ,
Harlan Lachman wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

I am not sure which is better the Dutchman or Lazy jack Sail Flaking
Systems.
Other prefer to have in the mast main fuller for cruising.
I am looking at this new boat and cannot make up my mind which system to
get.
I wonder if someone can offer some comments based on their own experience.
TIA

I agree with everything Harlan said... I have the Dutchman on my
boat... works great and the "training period" for the sail was very,
very short. I've used LJs a lot, and I like them fine. My experience
with them is that they tend to catch battens on the way up, which is
really annoying, especially when single-handing. I just want to do it
one time, not up/down, up/down. That's why I went with the
Dutchman. Neither, as Harlan said will interfere with reefing, but I
do like the Dutchman better here also... fewer lines in your face.

The downside to the Dutchman is two-fold... you have to modify your
main and you have to modify your sail cover. Thus, you can just slap
on a new main when it needs to get replaced if you want to continue to
use the Dutchman system.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com