Bil Bil is offline

Default Digital Charts

On Feb 22, 2:22 pm, wrote:
The US has totally free downloadable digital charts
(both raster and ENC) for all US coasts and territories because the US
taxpayer has already paid for the production of these charts.

I would be quite happy to pay $29 for the digital equivalent of a
paper chart. I have navigation software that reads digital charts.
But if I want, say AUS 154 (Williamstown) in digital format I would
have to pay for a (redundant) viewer and then the chart(s); somewhat
more tha $29.

Seems to make sense. On the one hand you have a vibrant, open economy
with a government (regardless of the administration of the day) that
has invested in infrastructure to support competition in the
production of goods and services.

On the other hand you have a tiny economy that has only toyed with
openness for a few decades. And the political economy is still riddled
with a colonial and exploitative mentality interested in protecting
the privileges of the big end of town. Until two or so decades ago,
import substitution and tariff protection were the name of the game.
And no one (not the government nor individuals) has been interested in
educating the electorate and making sophisticated demands on
government.

And the net result is you pay twice for your charts, once in taxes to
have your navy fiddle with a few details on the 18th century baseline
(I've sailed in northern Australian waters and used the jokes that
pass as charts) and then again at retail (where you get to pay a
further value added tax).

So why put up with the situation? Emigrate!