Harlan Lachman Harlan Lachman is offline

Default Lazy Jack vs Dutchman Sail Flaking System

In article ,
wrote:

I am not sure which is better the Dutchman or Lazy jack Sail Flaking
Systems.
Other prefer to have in the mast main fuller for cruising.
I am looking at this new boat and cannot make up my mind which system to
get.
I wonder if someone can offer some comments based on their own experience.
TIA

I have owned a Dutchman and Lazy Jack system. My Dad had Roller Furling.

His system fouled once which given his age was a b_tch.

Dutchman and Lazy Jacks work great. For semi-single handing, either
makes life easier. However, both really require heading into the wind to
drop the sail. I believe there are a few Lazy Jack systems (e.g., EZ Jax
and Jiffy Jax, etc.).

I prefer my Dutchman for two reasons. First, nothing is more magical
than having one's sail automatically flake on the boom. Not only does
the sail stay up, it stores itself automatically after a brief training
period. Elegant and time saving, especially with a longer boat.

Second, my Lazy Jack system required going forward to unclip the lines
(if I did not clip them to the mast they rattled around or flapped
against the main). My Dutchman is always there, invisible and silent. I
do have to adjust the topping lift before and after raising and lowering
the main, but I rigged the line back to my cockpit and it takes seconds.

Neither system interferes with reefing (if anything, the Dutchman helps
keep the excess sail out of the way).

If I did not respond to a concern you have for these two systems, just
ask.

Harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?