NOYB

Default Fuel saving tips

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Doesn't seem unusual to me at all. At around 2500 rpms is about where
mine drops off plane and essentiallly plows water....

Ok, let's say your boat drops off plane at 2500 RPM. (Are we talking OB

motor?)

Let's say that just off plane in your boat is
9 mph.

At 2600 rpm we'll say you're back on plane at 10-11 mph.

My 17' Whaler can stay on plane at about 13mph. Very few v-bottom boats can
plane at that slow a speed...so I doubt the Triumph is back on plane at 2600
rpm and a speed of 10-11mph.

Adding 400 rpm to that
will bring you to 25 mph?

An engine needs to run at a higher RPM to initially jump onto plane than it
does to maintain planing speed. However, I think you're incorrectly
assuming that the boat started planing at 10-11mph.

Something is fracturing my paradigm. Very light boats, outboard motors, or
something else I don't typically experience.

Light boats, yes. Outboards? Probably no different from an
I/O...definitely different from an inboard.

I think what you're missing is that there is less drag on a boat when it is
running fast and high out of the water, then when it's running at a speed
off-plane or just on-plane.

It's the same reason a boat runs faster with the engine trimmed out. Less
drag.