posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Winter Sailing in Boston

Walt wrote:
The wake does indeed make it look like they're doing donuts.

Looks like they're practicing penalty turns. Which look a lot like
doughnoughts.

I doubt they're practicing at all, the river is normally frozen but
there was a thaw yesterday. They probably just launched to claim
"first sail of the year" and there's not enough room to actually do
much sailing.

Or maybe they actually are doing doughnoughts? Yesterday was Paczki
day, although I'm not aware that anybody celebrates that in Boston.

Fat Tuesday?

As for the identity of the boat, the stripes at the head of the mainsail
would indicate FJ. But it may be a 420 - it's hard to tell from the
picture.

To complicate this more, MIT has 18 FJ's and 6 420's, all by Vanguard.
And it may be that the sails are interchangeable, though I don't see
why they do do that do. I'm pretty sure its an FJ, because the 420
chine is a bit softer, especially forward.