posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Another Hell Ship Maru / Blubber eating Japanese

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Mundo" wrote in message
. net...
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:39:14 -0500, Capt. JG wrote
(in article ):

It's not clear who's fault it was, but I think it was the Japanese boat
captain's fault.

The only way that it was the Japanese ships fault was because he drew
the
attention of the extremists greenpeace boat. Kind of like saying she
deserved
to be raped because of what she was wearing.

GP is fairly extreme, but it looked like the GP boat was on starboard, so
it would be up to the whaler to give way initially, and I looks like the
GP boat did attempt to back full astern when the capt realized that the
whaler was not giving way. Of course, I'm making the assumption, which
could be wrong, that the GP capt was telling the truth about the whaler
and his own actions.

You'll get a kick outta this, Jon. Quite a few years ago I was an active
Greenpeace member. I served aboard the Rainbow Warrior for 4 weeks while
we photographed and documented maneuvers by the US Navy off the coast of
Mexico. They were dumping huge amounts of refuse, but also sinking old,
decommissioned vessels whose tanks still contained large amounts of diesel
and discarded motor oil. The oil slicks were monstrous. Probably why
they chose to do this off the coast of Mexico rather than the US--no one
protested down there.

Thought you'd like to know.

Max

I promise not to tell anyone. g