posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bjarke M. Christensen Bjarke M. Christensen is offline

Default FT-857 vs 706 MkII ?

Are you saying that the osc's in marine ht/ssb's are more stable that the
osc's in ham hf/ssb's ? Why should that be so ? If icom can make it stable
in the marine ssb; why don't they deploy the same technology in the ham
ssb's ? I guess freq stability is a must for hams as well ??

When the 802 is enabled for ham (using the procedure you describe) will it
do both or do you have to toggle it back constantly ?

You often hear that marine ssb's are difficult to use on ham, as they are
optimised for a fixed freq setting, and not for the more variable freq used
on ham. How big a problem i that ?

Idont know you ham license structure, but where I live only the higest
license level are allowed to use more than 100w. Can the 802 be configured
to run only 100w on ham bands and 150w on marine bands ?

Bjarke

"Larry" wrote in message
"Steve" wrote in
oups.com:

and marine bands (after appropriate doctoring)

If they catch you using ham gear on the marine bands, they'll take your
ham license and ship license and fine you bigtime. It is something to
consider. Unless your 706 or Yahoo has the high stability master
oscillator, it isn't stable enough for marine band use, which is why it's
not approved.

I prefer Yahoo over Icom on the ham bands. But, the Icom M802 is a great
radio for both bands. To put the M802 to full-band transmit, all freqs,
turn it off. Hold down MODE + TX + 2 while turning it on. It now
transmits from 2-30 Mhz. To put it back to just marine use, simply
repeat the procedure. Be careful not to press any other buttons doing
this as many other combinations exist that are undocumented to the users,
that may lock it for an expensive factory reset. I use Lionheart's M802
to an AT-130 loading a 55' backstay and triattic capacitor hat. Works
great on all the bands, considering most of the power it generates is
simply absorbed by the sailing rigging.

Now, which marine rig converted to the ham bands were you buying?

My ham stations are a fully loaded FT-990AC to a Drake L4B with proper
stable HVDC power supply to a Butternut HF9VX vertical mounted in the
center of a metal roof ground plane. Mobile is a fully loaded FT-900 and
highly modified Tentec Hercules II 12V linear feeding a 15' tall homebrew
Texas Bug catcher of my own design at 650W RF output from a '73 Mercedes
220 Diesel with no electronic noise makers, whatsoever, on 160-10M.

I hardly ever use it any more. Skype on the internet is more fun without
those old codgers bitching at you you're on their private frequency
they've been using since 1948....(c;

Larry W4Charleston South Carolina
on Lionheart WDB-6254
an old codger ham since 1957...I was 11.

--
Vista has been out a week.
Is Service Pack 1 ready yet?