posted to rec.boats.building
Shaun Van Poecke Shaun Van Poecke is offline

Default bilge pump as propulsion

"Doug J" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 16, 2:43 pm, "Shaun Van Poecke"
I'd go with an old used cheep trolling motor with a busted speed
controller. Clean it, replace the brushes and mount it on one of the
transoms with a hinge that lets it flip down into the water and then
steer with the rudders. Add a simple on/off switch and avoid the
variable speed controller or any other electronics that will just
present other points of potential failure.

Best Regards
Doug
www.submarineboat.com

im with you there doug, that would suit my budget and my temperament
perfectly. even used trolling motors on ebay in australia attract quite a
premium... Ive seen second hand 40lb motors going for up to AU$250! since
ill probably chop it anyway, buying new is not a big concern of mine, and
ill only want full speed, so drect wiring seems the way to go.

what is the general thought on the life of a trolling motor? are
replacement bushes readily available?

Shaun