steve_hayes_maine steve_hayes_maine is offline

Default Contribute a case of "Double Bubble"

I guided Boy Scouts down the Allagash in Maine for over a dozen
years. First, canvassed canoes are by far the preferred form of
transportation -- they are flexible and easily repaired (glued on
patch or, in a pinch, super sticky duct tape). Aluminum canoes are
rock magnets. I have seen many, many such canoes hit a rock the other
canoes slid over and tip, with gear, occupants, etc. and then resist
efforts to free them. And there is no repair in the wilderness.

And then you get to the other issue -- noise. Every foot fall
resounds throughout the canoe and the surrounding water. It's
wonderful notice to the trout that you are there. Almost every other
form of canoe is far more silent.

I am amazed at a 45 year old aluminum canoe, which is near miracle.
100 year old wood and canvas canoes, by contrast, are relatively
common. I have a 20' Guide from 1923 that is in fine shape, mainly
because it is so easy to maintain them (and to replace the canvas when
needed).

Steve Hayes