posted to rec.boats.building
Frogwatch Frogwatch is offline

Default Very small deck plates

On Feb 14, 11:36 am, "Andrew Butchart" wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

oups.com...

I am looking for very small (2-3") diameter plastic deck plates to put
on the sides of my miniCup sailboats to allow the side comparetments
to be drained if they somehow fill with water. I want something like
a deck plate that will be very low rise above the deck. (I used 4"
deck plates on forward and aft compartments). I cannot find them on
the net or in catalogues. any ideas?

On my MiniCup, I used standard drain plugs like these that are available
fromhttp://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/plumbing/sd520010-20/index.htmor
West Marine etc.

In the years that I had the boat, which included the cockpit being filled
with water several times, I never had anything drain out of the chambers.

Andrew B

Andrew:

I thought about using these but where to put them. If I put em on
deck, I'd tend to sit on em, uncomfortable. If I put em inside the
cockpit, they'd have to go through the stringers at the base of the
cockpit.
I did get water in the side compartments just due to cracking of weak
joints over time. I am fairly certain I have solved that problem
after glassing the whole boat but I'd really like to be sure. On this
boat, I had rotting of the forward compartments due to water getting
in from the mast step. The back compartment was dry. Now both front
and back compartments have 4" deck plates and I have rebuilt the mast
step to be very solid.

David