posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Fina's got Flash

On Feb 13, 9:00 pm, thunder wrote:
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:21:27 -0800, Joe wrote:
One of the men on Fiermonti's boat was talking with the U.S. Coast
Guard, who gave them permission to bring Stringfield and Elliott
aboard, Fiermonti said. Stringfield said he got aboard first.

Could someone clarify this? I sure would follow any Coast Guard advice,
but I wasn't aware permission was needed.

My guess it the the USCG was in route. With the major burns the guy
suffered it might have been better to leave him in a dink until proper
rescue equipment arrived. With the gasoline on the water the USCG most
likely advised them to move him away from the area. And if faster then
to bring the guy to the dock. Permission is not required to rescue
anyone.

The fellow lived, had dead skin removed yesterday. Seems he will
recover.

I would never have a gasoline boat, cept a dink or a ski boat that has
no closed spaces.

Joe