Skip Gundlach Skip Gundlach is offline

Default Discoveries (was) Flying Pig Damage Assessment and update

Of little interest to most, I'm sure, but I, of the curious mind,
wonder:

What, indeed, were the winds out there that night? In the harsh light
of day I see:

The Davis wind indicator has lost one leg entirely, and the tab from
the other.
The hailer horn, newly installed, blew off.
The KISS wind generator, also newly installed, left behind only a
blackened stump and a length of wire.

What sort of speed is required to cause those departures?

Surely, based on experience of those in the know, not enough to blow
us off course, but enough to do some damage, apparently.

I'm sure glad the radar antenna didn't follow the horn mounted below
it - apparently it was more aerodynamic and/or more stoutly
mounted...

Meanwhile, the yard has had its first look; it appears as though - if
they care to bid on it at all - it will be strictly time and
materials.

While they and the insurance company figure out what to do, the yard
bill clicks along at $500 a week just to sit still on the stands.

I'm beginning to consider a tow back to the yard where we were, as, if
this is to be saved, it nearly certainly won't be by the yard here
doing the work - I have little doubt the policy limits would be
exceeded very quickly, and besides, I expect the insurance company
will require firm quotes, which, to protect themselves, the yard will
make astronomical.

Where we were, we can be stored and worked on for less than 1/6 the
yard cost here. If it turns out to be many months, that's many
thousands difference in what will inevitably be out-of-pocket expenses
- which we currently have no concept of how to find.

And, at least up there, we have some "community" having worked on the
boat for the last three years there.

I'm going to make a concerted effort tomorrow, following conversations
with a surveyor who is also a morgan owner, and has recommended
various tradespeople to us, to get individual contractors' opinions
about the method of attack, as well as the anticipated end cost. If it
can possibly be done here, in the parameters of the insurance
coverage, we'll go for it.

If it's way over, but, say, less than double, likely we'll pull it
back to St. Pete, as I am confident we can find competent tradespeople
there at comparable or less cost, but save 5k every three months in
yard bills, money sorely needed to make repairs...

Wish us luck (I know, you already do - we're overwhelmed with support,
for which we are without words, as they're simply inadequate,
including, today, another morgan owner giving us his suburban he no
longer needed, for us to haul the inevitable huge amount of supplies
for our refit)...

L8R

Skip and Lydia

--
Morgan 461 #2 Disaster link: http://ipphotos.com/FlyingPig.asp
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
you
didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail
away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain