JR North JR North is offline

Default Ten Years After

I remember seething with anger upon hearing of that tragedy. Any info on
the idiots in the sailboat, who, as I recall, at the time couldn't care
less that their incompetence and carelessness directly led to the deaths
of 3 brave men?
JR

Chuck Gould wrote:

Yesterday was the 10th Anniversary of a tragedy for the USCG.

Three crew members died when their 40-foot "surf boat"
capsized enroute to rescue a sailboat. There were a lot of mistakes
made that night, but the one mistake that was not made was that the
USCG crew did its duty as ordered.

http://www.piersystem.com/clients/uscg-13/69013.jpg

LA PUSH, Wash. - Seaman Andrew Wieruke removes a wreath from a
memorial at Coast Guard Station Quillayute River. The memorial is
dedicated to three Coast Guard crewmen who lost their lives during a
rescue mission in 1997. The wreath was subsequently placed at sea by
a Coast Guard motor lifeboat crew.

February 12 marked the 10th anniversary of the tragedy that claimed
the lives of Seaman Clinton Miniken, Petty Officer Second Class David
Bosley and Petty Officer Third Class Matthew Schlimme. The three were
killed during an attempt to rescue two people from the sailing vessel,
Gale Runner, that was taking on water in 25-ft seas and 40-knot winds
near the entrance to the Quillayute River. Coast Guard photo by Jeff
Pollinger.

###