Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Satisfy the urge without the splurge

In article . com,
"Bob" wrote:

That's the poorest plan I've ever heard. For those who are math
impaired, let me simplify. NEVER sell an appreciating asset to
purchase a depreciating asset.

GREAT words.

But a house is not an investment. Historically, their value tracks
inflation IF they're maintained. If not, they depreciate. Then there's
having to return to pay taxes and such. It's a long dock line.

Part of my plan, though Pat disagrees, is to sell the house and invest
the proceeds in a good conservative mix. If we get merely 5%, that could
add up in only a few years. [And my track record exceeds that
considerably.]

More likely, we'll downsize to a much less expensive and more benign
climate and invest the difference, since even if we don't retire to the
boat, we'll make that move.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/