Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Satisfy the urge without the splurge

In article . com,
"Frogwatch" wrote:

OK, we see that the "Dream" of cruising isnt too realistic, so, is
there a solution? A solution that allows people to go for awhile
without cutting ties to their lives? A solution that allows people to
keep theri homes ashore etc in case the boat thing doesnt work out?

It seems to me that there are a lot of old boats out there and a lot
are in reasonable condition to coastal cruise. How about a cruising
coop that fixes em up just enough to be somewhat spartan cruising
boats, leases em long term to members with lease payments going into
an option to buy.

For myself, I'd really like to sail my boat over to the bahamas but
from here in N. Fl it is a long way there and I've done that crossing
to Sarasota too many times. Sure wish I could find someone reliable
to sail her to Ft Myers and he could cruise her around Pine ISland
Sound or even to the Keys. I'd pick her up there and go on. Trouble
is, who is reliable enough? Who would agree to my spartan
accomodations?

The friends we hang with must be a little stranger than most. Then
again, the marina is: it's at least 1/2 empty each decent weekend. We've
had two friends get boats, get them ready, sell the house and take off.
They're still gone. A third is just about to sell the house. One young
guy never had a house: Lived aboard his Hinkley as he fixed it up and
paid it off --cheaper then renting and a great way to pick up chicks--
then when he was laid off, he took the 6 months of unemployment to put
the finishing touches on and fatten the kitty before taking off with the
girl friend. He returned recently after 5 or so years out -- to
replenish the kitty. Have half a dozen friends with houses that do
part-time cruising: half a year in the Caribbean, half a year on the
Bay, based at home.

We and a few others are still in the work-a-day world, but sail a lot in
season and plan on going down for 6 or so months the next time we're
between jobs (which could be retirement the way things are going at
work), then deciding on our next step after that trial. If long distance
is for us, we'll know what we need and want a heck of a lot better than
we did 15 years ago. In the meantime, the kitty's getting pretty fat
since Xan's costs amount to an annual 2-week vacation.

I suspect a high percentage of us on the list are somewhere in that
spectrum.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/