posted to rec.boats.paddle
John Fereira John Fereira is offline

Default Roll class for sea kayakers?

"Moby Dick" wrote in
oups.com:

Looking through the local sports magazine (Boulder, Colorado), I see
lot's of "roll classes" for whitewater kayaks. Do sea kayakers need
this, too. I know what rolling is -- seems to me that if a sea kayak
is flipped due to a wave or something, it'd be good to know how to
roll back up. Or is just getting out of the kayak sufficient?

Good question.

The topic has been discussed in the past with varying opinions on the
importance of learning to roll in a sea kayak. John's response covered some
good points but I have a couple of things to add.

Consider this: You're paddling a sea kayak 1/4 mile offshore in 50 degree
waters (or colder) and you capsize. If you roll up you're back out of the
water in seconds. The alternative is exiting the kayak (a wet exit). IMHO,
learning how to wet exit is the first thing that anyone getting into a kayak
should know. The second thing is learning how to get back into the kayak
while in deep water. If the water is very cold and you can't get back into
your boat it's unlikely that you'll make it to shore before succumbing to
hypothermia if you try to swim.

Most good beginning kayak classes will cover the basic strokes, but will
also teach out to wet exist and show you several techniques for reentering
the boat. There are also some good books on the subject (do an amazon
search on sea kayak rescue). Many will also recommend getting a copy of
"Deep Trouble".