posted to rec.boats.electronics
definer definer is offline

Default Furuno Radar Problem

I was there in '82-'83 working at the Cobra Dane (the replacement for
the FPS-108). The wind was a constant 25 knots or so and the high
temperature the year I was there was 55F. The low was only 7F but
with the wind it was like a least -17F. When the wind really blew we
would have to go out roped together. Trying to keep this on topic a
little bit...You could take "bad" flourescent light bulbs to the top
of the building and drop them in front of radar and they would light
up before they broke 6 stories below. Funny thing was the Russians
used to bring trawlers within 2-300 yards to gather intel even thouhgh
we vectored our aircraft far away...!

On Feb 11, 9:52 pm, Jack Erbes wrote:
definer wrote:
Jack,

What Island was that? I spent a year at Shemya (aka "The Rock")

Ken

That was it. I worked out at the AAFJOG on Shemya for about 8 months in
1966, we were a small detachment from NAVCOMMSTA Adak.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)