[email protected] capt.bill11@verizon.net is offline

Default My sympathy but.................

On Feb 12, 11:07 pm, "joseph" wrote:
If you did more than look at a chart you would know that there is
absolutely no problem traveling north of the Keys. We lived on our
boat and cruised there for 10 years and we have a 6 foot draft. We
have made the run from Cape Sable to the Keys and back many times in
both daylight and at night. Flying Pig made some costly mistakes but
this is a well traveled route done by many folks in all conditions so
the only thing wrong is the wrong interpretation of the chart you are
looking at. The problem with many posts we have read on this subject
is too many armchair sailors with little understanding of what can
happen if you actually got off the dock and spent some real time on
the water.

What some folks seem to be forgeting is the sea state at the time.

Yes, 6 1/2 foot draft is do-able on the Gulf side of the Keys. If you
are careful.

But not when you throw in 6-8+ foot seas. And while the shallows
would knock that down some, it's still not a place you want to be with
6 1/2 draft in those conditions. Especially at night.

And yes, I've been boating in and around that area for decades.
Sometimes even in an armchair. Stidd arm chair that is. :-)