Rick Morel Rick Morel is offline

Default Anchor Size ,, does size matter.. that's a joke son .. question

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:14:46 -0800, druid wrote:

Ya know, I'm confused. I read the responses to this post and really wonder
if we have some Magic Stickup at the bottom of our bays around here. 7 to
1? You'd hit every boat in the bay, before going up on the rocks. You're
lucky to get enough room for 3 to 1. I use a 35-lb CQR with 30 ft of heavy
chain, and it's never let me down in 18 years - not even in 20+ knot
winds. Hell, in lighter conditions I've "set" my 22-lb Danforth just by
letting it "fly" off the stern: probably no more than 2 to 1.

And it's not like I'm alone in this: most boats my size (36ft sailboat)
have maybe 16-lb Bruces they set with maybe 3 to 1.

druid - loves his CQR

Some places are like that. Here in South Louisiana, Vermillion Bay, 2
to 1 with a Danforth will do it no matter what. I must admit overnight
I use 5 to 1, then spend tens of minutes powering back and forth
taking up 6 to 8 inches of rode at a time. Our bottom is pure gumbo
mud with some clay under it. Most of the time the anchor comes up with
20 to 50 lbs of "gumbo" on it.

Someone mentioned using a Kellet. We started using one in South
Florida after wind and current caused the rode to catch on the keel.
That was interesting! Used a 10-lb mushroom anchor from the dinghy at
first, then poured lead in a soup can with a loop imbedded. That I
suspect expensive "Anchorbuddy" is the same thing, only apparently
more trouble to use. I just rigged about 25 ft. of line and a 2-foot
length with a snap schakle on the free end. Snap it onto the anchor
rode after setting and let it slide down, cleating the 25 ft. length
where you want. And yes, it works as advertised re more secure and
less swinging.

Rick