posted to rec.boats.electronics
CGB CGB is offline

Default Help on GPS unit and Ruminations

I'm about to buy my first GPS for my boat because my LORAN finally died. I
boat in coastal New England. I am inclined to get a GPS that also includes
a depth sounder/fish finder. I know next to nothing and would appreciate
any help.

1. Best brand? Garmin, I know is common. I saw a Lowrance (model
LCX-28C-HD) that looked very nice at the boat show.

2. Do I understand that when you buy a GPS it doesn't come with the charts
built in? That's an extra cost? I see some advertised as
"GPS/chartplotters." Is there a difference between a GPS unit and a GPS
unit with "chartplotter?" Without the charts, what does it do for you, just
give lat/long? How much extra to get the charts, typically.

3. If I have to buy charts, what brand do you recommend? How do I get
updates to them, via web, CD, flash memory, etc. Is this necessary (charts
do change). And, is this yet an additional charge?

4. Depth/fish sounder needs a transducer. This is an additional charge??!!!
I would prefer a thru-hull but if I'm reading things right, these are
expensive, like a couple hundred $. Are transom mounts OK? I'd like
fishfinding, water temp., and depth.

5. Internal vs. external antennae. I think some of the models I looked at
even charge extra for the antenna and bracket!! Mine will go on a flybridge
covered only by a cloth canvas top with minimal stainless steel support
work. Would an internal antennae be OK? (lady at West Marine told me it
was "line-of-sight" and the canvas top would prohibit reception through it
because you can't see through the top!!! That's gotta be incredibly stupid,
doesn't it?) As long as I'm spending the money for this, is there a model
as described that would also serve in my auto, using a plug to the cigarette
lighter? Or, am I engaging in wishful thinking? But, I do spend far more
time in the car than I do on the boat here in New England.

6. In other words, I'm rather lost and would appreciate any help. I've
seen a lot of GPS units advertised for $500-$700 and thought I'd likely have
to spend in that neighborhood. Now thinking that I may have to buy the
bracket, the antenna, the transducer, etc. etc., all extra, it's getting to
look like maybe I ought to just get my LORAN fixed or get a new compass and
parallel rules and use them with my $12 digital watch. (for you youngsters,
that's called dead reckoning).

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Chet