druid druid is offline

Default Anchor Size ,, does size matter.. that's a joke son .. question

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:26:47 +0000, NE Sailboat wrote:

Just read a web story about a dragging anchor. So, I start to think???
How big.. that is how much bigger than the recommended anchor can a boat
use.

Do you all ,,, in north talk that is "you guys" .. carry a big, huge,
anchor.. the one for the "tough" job?

And what size in relation to boat size.

Ya know, I'm confused. I read the responses to this post and really wonder
if we have some Magic Stickup at the bottom of our bays around here. 7 to
1? You'd hit every boat in the bay, before going up on the rocks. You're
lucky to get enough room for 3 to 1. I use a 35-lb CQR with 30 ft of heavy
chain, and it's never let me down in 18 years - not even in 20+ knot
winds. Hell, in lighter conditions I've "set" my 22-lb Danforth just by
letting it "fly" off the stern: probably no more than 2 to 1.

And it's not like I'm alone in this: most boats my size (36ft sailboat)
have maybe 16-lb Bruces they set with maybe 3 to 1.

druid - loves his CQR