krj krj is offline

Default My sympathy but.................

KLC Lewis wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On 12 Feb 2007 18:05:38 -0800, "Frogwatch"
wrote:

ts a long friggin way from even Naples to Marathon and the
probability of getting over the large shallows north of Marathon in
the dark is nearly 50% no matter what you do. Marathon was a bad
choice no matter the schedule.

It's not that difficult if you stay on track, although my first choice
would be daylight also.

Well, my first rule of night sailing is to never enter a strange port or
shallow water until daylight, and if it looks like the current sailing
conditions will put the boat into either of them under the dark of night, to
slow down or heave-to and wait. Even then, I'd better have a damn good
reason for entering shallow water, which in Essie's case is anything less
than 12 feet -- with draft of 5 feet. Yes, that might make me
overly-cautious, but it's worked so far.

I guess you will never sail around the Miami area in Biscayne Bay. Very
few places over 12 feet, but lots of us sail there almost every day with
5.5' draft.
krj