Frogwatch Frogwatch is offline

Default My sympathy but.................

Something is wrong with this picture. I mean I have a lot of sympathy
for the Gundlachs but it doesnt add up. With a 6.5' draft in the
Keys, it isnt a matter of "Am I going to go aground" but how bad will
it be, how bad the second time, the third ...ad infinitum. Given
this, how could anybody think of approaching Marathon from the north
in the dark? I mean, I am looking at the chart right now and its "No
way". I wouldnt get within 50 miles of it on the north side with a
6.5' draft in the dark and I am used to shallow water. There is a
good reason why ALL the charter companies forbid you to be underway
after dark in those waters. Why didnt he go into Charlotte harbor,
Boca Grande or even Evrrglades City if they were so tired. Electing
to continue toward such treacherous shallows was simply bizarre.
Is this a situation of a "new fangled" chart plotter not giving a
clear picture of the entire situation like a good large scale chart
does?
I've gone aground too and many of you know how I spent $500 to get
towed off a bar just after Thanksgiving but I know that around here
its justa matter of a soft thunk on the mud. In reefy conditions,
Good Lord, I'd be more careful.
Its a long friggin way from even Naples to Marathon and the
probability of getting over the large shallows north of Marathon in
the dark is nearly 50% no matter what you do. Marathon was a bad
choice no matter the schedule. From Key West on the outside in Fox
Channel you have the current helping you go NE so it'd be fast.
Skip and Lydia, I wish you the best but get a boat more suitable for
the waters and be careful.