posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska Bruce  in Alaska is offline

Default Furuno Radar Problem

In article ,
"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

We sent a reserve crew from Travis to Shemya one weekend in the early
1970's, flying a C-141, carrying rebar for...... what was it? Cobra Dane
maybe?
Anyway, the reserve pilot debriefed back at Travis that he landed, did
an "engine running" offload, and departed without ever seeing the ground.
The snow was blowing sideways in a virtual whiteout, and all he could see
was the tail-lights of the "follow-me" vehicle, and the wands of the
"marshaller"
I heard the debrief.... was it really like that at times?
Old Chief Lynn

Hell, it is "Really like that" on some days NOW..... Just ask any
North Pacific or Bering Sea Crabber...... there are days when the only
thing they see are Radar Returns, and MAYBE Pot Bouys closer than 100 Ft.
You really know it is Blowing when all the snow is going horozontal or
upwards..... and the seas are 40ft Swell, with a 10ft Chop running
perpendicular to the Swell..... like riding a CorkScrew Rollercoaster,
24/7, for days at a time....

Bruce in alaska who gets Seasick, just thinking about it.....
--
add a 2 before @