KLC Lewis KLC Lewis is offline

Default Flying Pig Damage Assessment and update

Skip,

Regarding the "pulling it apart and flowing-in epoxy" -- yes, that will work
with certain caveats: How clean is the material on either face which will be
epoxied together? Oil-free is good, of course, but if the two surfaces
pulled cleanly away from each other, leaving little glass on the wood or
wood on the glass, they weren't bonded strongly-enough to begin with. Trying
to rebond them with epoxy won't be very strong, and eventually that joint
will fail again. New epoxy won't form a primary bond with old polyester
resin.

If, in pulling apart, plenty of glass was left in the wood or visa-versa,
then the glue joint was as strong as it could have been. But in either case,
rebonding without mechanical fasteners will be weaker than the original
joint which failed. You might want to consider, rather than screws through
the glass into the bulkheads, using through-bolted hardwood battens at least
half an inch thick to help spread the load and reinforce that joint. If at
all possible, I would want to laminate those battens into place, making a
"wood-glass-wood-glass-wood" sandwich bolted and epoxied together.

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
ups.com...
This seems to be the best thread in which to insert this...

George Huffman, of "The Dinghy Dock" newsletter, made a post in
Renegades, offering his help as soon as his own vehicular challenges
are resolved...

Hi, George, and onlookers,

It keeps getting better...

The transportation issue isn't yet resolved - but there's a distinct
possibility in the area.

I just got a mail from my surveyor, ex-QC and Service Manager for
Morgan during the entire time of building our boats.

The short story is that if the detabbing is at the bulkhead and the
bulkhead hasn't been compromised with oil products (fuel, oil, etc.),
just wedging it open, flowing in epoxy and then screwing it down will
rebond and, as my wife, and England-raised lady, sez, "Bob's your
uncle!"

I'm going to follow up to see if one *must* screw it back down (vs,
e.g., wedging i.e. are the screws necessary for structural integrity,
or just used to pull it tight?) to make it happen. If wedging will
suffice, likely we won't have to pull the tanks, minimizing an already
labor intensive project into something far more manageable.

I'm already into project management mode, but Lydia's still in full
depression, as the enormity of the elephant she has to eat is still
too close to analyze. She doesn't do patience, or methodical long-
term results. "Lord, give me patience - and I want it *right now!!!*
- funny, but unfortunately true for her generally, let alone under
these circumstances.

Yet, all this will pass, and we'll have the most amazing stories to
tell around the potlucks out in the Caribbean, or to the BoyScouts we
might do charters for on their Extreme Adventure series "Sail the
Keys" once this is all settled.

Not quite Robinson Cruso, or the other which escapes me about the
swiss family, but still entertaining, if you don't have to deal with
the pain of the real possibility of losing your home and every one of
your possessions.

Yet, I'm struck by how fortunate we are in comparison, for example, of
some of the Rita/Katrina/Wilma/Ivan survivors. We're truly blessed,
including by such as you all.

Love to all of you kind souls, most of whom we don't even know exist,
having never even corresponded, let alone met...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2 Disaster link: http://ipphotos.com/FlyingPig.asp
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
you
away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain