posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] h4marine@googlemail.com is offline

Default Shaft Log / Cutlass Bearing - tight fit...?

On 15 Jan, 21:38, wrote:
My new Buck Algonquin bronze shaft log is advertised as being bored to
accept a 1.5" cutlass bearing. My new Duramax cutlass bearing is
advertised as having an outside diameter od 1.5" (to accommodate a 1"
prop shaft).

I tried to slide the Bearing into the Log - no way.

I got out the calipers; the O.D. of the bearing is indeed 1.50", but
the I.D. of the Log is just 1.4875"

Is it expected that one must heat / cool these pieces in order to get
them to fit? Or, did Buck Algonquin use the wrong "drill bit"?

If heating / cooling is expected, is it a hair dryer or a blow torch...

Many Thanks.

MW

Why not buy a composite bearing machined to 0.5-0.15mm less than
carrier ID, slides in and should rotate easily, (this is a good way to
check for shaft alignment) then simply bed with epoxy. When you come
to change the bearing, simply heat the bearing carrier and it will
slide out like its on grease. No corrossion no pullers .

I have heard warnings that using dry ice to cool cutlass bearings will
seperate the bond between the rubber and the phenolic or bronze, but I
havn't tried this one myself.