posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lynn Coffelt Lynn Coffelt is offline

Default Hookup Question---Gps/Vhf at 2 stations

"Chandrella" wrote in message
I am thinking of buying a Garmin 76csx Gps and an Icom M422 VHF. The
Icom will transfer NEMA data to and from the gps for position display
on my or another boat's gps. Use will be on a sail boat and I'd like
to be able to use the gps at both the helm and in the cabin where the
vhf radio is.

Question is, can I just common the NEMA IN/OUT data cables at both
stations between the gps and vhf? That is, simply plug the gps into
whichever location I want to use it at, by hooking the data cables
together in parallel. Of course only the 1 gps would be hooked to the
one vhf radio at whichever gps station. My concern is impedence or
stray signals possibly from the unterminated data cable.

Wold be using these data cables from Garmin. Run would only be about
10 feet between the cabin and helm station.

Should work great. NEMA "out" can usually send data to more than one
device, but of course you don't want more than one device transmitting on
one set of wires without "Data combiners" or equivalent.
Old Chief Lynn