KLC Lewis KLC Lewis is offline

Default Solar panel controller

"Paul" wrote in message
A question about bypass diodes:
Do most panels have the bypass diodes (to allow current flow through
shaded cells)? The specs for my Shell 100W panels do not mention them.
I'm not talking about the series reverse-current blocking diodes, but the
per-cell bypass. I am considering an MPPT controller, and if the panels
have these diodes, it should be better to connect the panels in series,
rather than in parallel. My installation has three panels, and does have
issues with panel shading. Currently I have the panels in parallel, and
use a non-MPPT controller.

I will probably do some V/I curves for the panels with varying types and
degrees of shading, which should answer the bypass diode question, but
until then any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Can't speak for "most," but Unisolar flexible 35's will continue to operate
partially shaded, at reduced output.