mr.b mr.b is offline

Default DIY refrigerator in sailboat

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 00:55:29 +0000, Jere Lull wrote:

Mac OS on top of UNIX makes the transition seamless.

pedantic
MacOS X _is_ a variant of BSD Unix; the offspring of Steve Jobs' NeXT
computer experiment circa 1990 where his company created first the
NeXTStep and then the OpenStep operating systems. Google the NeXT Cube.
These beautifully designed machines are the platforms upon which Tim
Berners-Lee created the "World Wide Web" at CERN.
/pedantic

as to nonsense about "needed" software, I know a thing or three about
computers and as a Unix/Linux sysadmin and user, I haven't needed _any_ MS
software for over 10 years now. Why other people aren't able to grasp this
reality is beyond me. It ain't hard. If I can do it... My wife has
used Mac exclusively for a year now and doesn't seem to be missing
anything either. But then she wanted a computer, not an XBox. You are
right. We will be spared.