posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default Check out these inflatable boats

wrote in news:1170911655.547133.161120
@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

Hey Larry don't get your panties all in a bunch, I just wanted people
to check ou our boats

Can you imagine what this newsgroup would look like if every boat crap
manufacturer who was looking for a free ad on usenet were to post just
one message per week "wanting people to check out our boats"? Shall we
include ever dealer that has internet access? How about all the marinas
and boatyards that want us to take a look, too?

That's precisely why my panties get in a wad when I see it. Usenet is
one of the few places still guarded against the spam by its users.
Posting ads usually makes us angry at the poster, even if we don't post a
nasty reply. That's not exactly the attitude you need to sell someone a
boat is it?

Post to your heart's content in rec.boats.marketplace where we don't HAVE
to see it unless we're in the market. Leave the rest of the boating
newsgroups for conversations.....

If you're REALLY interested in us buying something, take an example from
Peggie Hall, who used to run Electrasan. Peggie never spams these
groups. However, her very helpful presence and always-willing-to-help
expertise helping boaters with head problems, even on competitor's
equipment, has probably sold more product than all the spam posts ever
posted since the newsgroup's beginning. A little market research of the
participants to this group and the other groups Peggie participates in
would reveal how many heads people bought just because of her
participation and just genuine friendliness.

Join us and lend a hand....but PLEASE don't spam us, ok?

Larry
--
Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep vote on who's for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has his own gun.