NE Sailboat NE Sailboat is offline

Default Donna Lange almost sinks

Roger ,, why are you making a personal attack on me? I am only expressing
my opinion.

The Cape Horn wind vane guy ?? He and I own the same model boat, same size.
One big difference. His has over $100,000 dollars of seaworthyness added to
it. Sails, electronics, redesign of cockpit, etc.

An opinion is not lack of respect. It is an opinion. When a solo sailor
goes forth in a boat which you yourself posted was ill equipped ;;;

Then the question must be asked;; why?

================================
"Roger Long" wrote in message
You know, from what I could see in the online listing, the voice from the
peanut gallery has a boat more capable of making a circumnavigation than
Donna's. It's the same type and next larger model as the Cape Horn wind
vane guy sailed around the world. To hear him tell it, he also has a lot
more sea time than Donna. Maybe he doesn't like to get far from home
himself but lack of respect for some one like Donna is pretty small
minded.

Saying she has a death wish betrays an ignorance of the sea. Coastal
waters can be every bit as dangerous, often more so, than the open ocean.
Just this morning we got a sad reminder of what can happen to an even
larger vessel in perfect condition. There are rogue waves but the rocks
and sand are always hard and unyielding and they cover a lot more of the
planet.

Even after her circumnavigation, I would have more confidence in Donna's
ability to do what she is doing now than making an extensive coastal
cruise around an area like Maine or Newfoundland. A trip like hers takes
great mental toughness, physical reserves, and preparation. Those are
qualities that can be created more quickly, if you have the raw material,
than the navigational expertise and judgement to spend weeks and months
with rocks and ledges close at hand and lee shores only a few miles away
in the fog. You'll note that she ran into South America (fortunately
without damage) when she got close to it.

--
Roger Long