Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Donna Lange almost sinks

You know, from what I could see in the online listing, the voice from the
peanut gallery has a boat more capable of making a circumnavigation than
Donna's. It's the same type and next larger model as the Cape Horn wind
vane guy sailed around the world. To hear him tell it, he also has a lot
more sea time than Donna. Maybe he doesn't like to get far from home
himself but lack of respect for some one like Donna is pretty small minded.

Saying she has a death wish betrays an ignorance of the sea. Coastal waters
can be every bit as dangerous, often more so, than the open ocean. Just
this morning we got a sad reminder of what can happen to an even larger
vessel in perfect condition. There are rogue waves but the rocks and sand
are always hard and unyielding and they cover a lot more of the planet.

Even after her circumnavigation, I would have more confidence in Donna's
ability to do what she is doing now than making an extensive coastal cruise
around an area like Maine or Newfoundland. A trip like hers takes great
mental toughness, physical reserves, and preparation. Those are qualities
that can be created more quickly, if you have the raw material, than the
navigational expertise and judgement to spend weeks and months with rocks
and ledges close at hand and lee shores only a few miles away in the fog.
You'll note that she ran into South America (fortunately without damage)
when she got close to it.

--
Roger Long